To enhance our students’ safety, Gaglardi Academy is expanding our school’s efforts to prepare for an emergency. It is important that you become familiar with the school’s emergency procedures and what you should do in the event of an emergency while your children are at school. We encourage you to discuss how you expect your child to behave and respond during an emergency or disaster situation.
The school is prepared to care for your child in the event of an emergency for up to 72 hours or until you or an authorized alternate are able to pick him or her up. Gaglardi Academy has on-site food and water supplies, plus emergency supplies. If your child requires special medication other than the standard over-the-counter medication, please ensure that the office always has enough supplies on hand to cover a minimum of 72 hours.
- Do not phone the school following an incident or during a disaster. We must keep our phone lines and cell service open for outgoing emergency calls.
- Do not drive to the school during an incident. Street access to the school must remain clear for emergency vehicles.
- PLEASE Do not call your child’s cell phone, especially during a lockdown. Updates will confirm when cell service is available and you can begin calling your child.
- Listen and watch for updates – our school will use a variety of communication tools including phone trees, the school’s website, text messaging, email, and social media to alert parents of the current situation and next steps.
- As soon as school officials indicate it is safe to pick up your child, drive to the school and park only as close as you can safely walk to the reunification area (see map below). We are encouraging parents to park along Dogwood or Pritchard and approach the school from the West side of the property. This is the quickest and shortest route to the reunification area.
- All parents or authorized alternates who come to pick up children MUST sign the children out at the designated student release area (see map below). At Gaglardi Academy, this is at the bridge crossing Brooklyn Creek on the west side of our property. The quickest access is on Dogwood. Once parents sign out their children at the bridge, a faculty member will collect your child at the Student Holding Area (see below) and meet you at the student pick up area. Once parents sign for their child they should proceed immediately along the public path to the student pick-up area. Again, please refer to the map.
See the Emergency Reference Guide (on the sidebar at the left) for the command structure in the event of an emergency AND the structure to provide a safe learning environment for your child while at school. Gaglardi Academy has trained staff members in First Aid, SARS, Security, Hazardous Materials, and supporting psychological needs in the event of emergencies. Our school also has community contacts available to support our staff and students in the event of an emergency.